We have had a wonderful response to the beautiful cover for Ngā Ripo Wai | Swirling Waters, our sincere thanks are again extended to Dallon August (cover artist) and Erin Nicols of Smartwork Creative (cover designer).
We acknowledge that for many, the inclusion of mountains on the cover is somewhat of a surprise. In reality, there are several mountains in the Kerikeri surrounds and even more within the wider reaches of the Ngā Ripo Wai | Swirling Waters volume. Mountains are highly significant to Māori and, while sometimes they may seem more hill-like than mountainous to the untrained eye, it is the events attached to the mountain that signify its mana.
We love working with designers because of their ability to translate an idea into a visual image. The stylistic representation of the Ngā Ripo Wai | Swirling Waters mountains on the cover emphasises their importance, and the overall effect enhances the idea of flow from mountains to river to sea.
The mountains referenced in the volume are marked on the book’s map designed by Jill Creighton and include: Tokerau, Rākaumangamanga, Ōrongo, Whakataha and Pokākā.
Pavlova Press is pleased to announce the upcoming publication of Ngā Ripo Wai | Swirling Waters, an anthology of writing about Kerikeri.
This multi-genre collection in te reo Māori and English explores the uneven terrain of Kerikeri and its history, from the pā to the store, from the warrior to the gardener, from the chainmail coat to the black singlet to the Māori Battalion tie pin, from the orchards to the river banks, from the airport to the Old Packhouse Market and the galleries. This beautiful, undulating landscape of poems, ultra-short stories, interviews and histories comes from writers with a Kerikeri connection.
Poet and essayist Lynn Jenner calls the anthology: “… a word painting of this place as it was and as it is now …” and asks, “Is Kerikeri a settled place? Yes and no. That tension is what makes this anthology so much fun to read and so worthwhile to think about.”
Congratulations to the contributors whose work has been chosen to feature in the anthology, and to Dallon August, whose artwork graces the cover (which will be revealed shortly!). We would also like to acknowledge the valuable input from Andrew Blanshard and Liz Bigwood.
Alistair Tulett Audrey Lappin Barbara Wrigley Bella Booth Briar Wood Bruce Hudson Corralie Betts Debbie Raphael Diana Menefy Elinor Davis Fiona Kidman Glenn Colquhoun Heather McQuillan Jac Jenkins Jill Creighton John Geraets John O’Hare Julia Barber Julia Reinholt June Pitman-Hayes K.V. Martins Kanjini Devi Kathy Derrick Kipa Munro Lesley Marshall Lilly Marie Hulse Lucy Spice Lynette Wrigley-Brown Lynne Hill Marino-Moana Begman Mark Graver Martin Porter Mercedes Webb-Pullman Philippa Campbell Piet Nieuwland Rose Wunrow Sian Williams Sophie McEntee Susi Thompson Tania Aslund Tūauahiroa Te Kēpa Vaughan Rapatahana Vera Dong Vivian Thonger Vivienne Plumb
Kerikeri’s pre-European to modern day history is filled with a bounty of scintillating stories of early life where two cultures learned to live alongside each other and forge the way for early settlement throughout Aotearoa.
In our call for submissions for our proposed Kerikeri anthology, Pavlova Press hopes for stories and poems that reflect this history, and that can sit alongside contemporary tales and odes and speculations about the future. We are looking for diversity and balance, works written te reo Māori and te reo Pākehā, about good times and bad times, that celebrate and question.
We have taken snippets from Nancy Pickmere’s Kerikeri: Heritage of Dreams (2nd ed., 2008), and the Rewa’s Village website that might stimulate your creativity.
Kerikeri was of great importance to Ngai Tawake because it was their port/access to the site of their main pa at Te Waimate where they maintained valuable and productive gardens.
Koropiro Pā, located strategically at the junction of the Wairoa and Kerikeri rivers, was the major gathering place for the departure of hundreds of warriors and laden canoes.
Ngāpuhi used a sophisticated communications system of fire and smoke, conches and drums, and fast-running messengers to alert villages of unusual activity.
Three powerful chiefs are connected with early European settlement in Kerikeri: Rewa, Hongi Hika and Tāreha.
Gravel (kirikiri) dug from the riverbed was used to warm the soil in the cultivation of kūmara crops. It may have provided the name ‘Kerikeri’.
There was a lack of trees on the site of the missionary settlement—first seen as an advantage because clearing the land would be easier, however the lack of timber was a handicap when it came to building. As an example of the measures needed, at one point a waka towed a loaded whale boat which towed a punt loaded with timber which itself towed a raft of logs.
The lack of a reliable food supply contributed to a serious discord among the missionaries in 1823, and eventually the Rev. John Butler (the first superintendent of the New Zealand Mission) resigned his superintendency in frustration, having failed to prevent the trading of food to whaling ships in exchange for muskets.
In December 1829 seven boatloads of people were paddled up the inlet from Paihia to witness the school examinations—boys exhibited their carpentry and girls their sewing.
The Stone Store, in 1867, had the reputation of ‘Church Missionary Grog-shop’.
In the early 1900s, gorse was a significant ingredient of chaff—local people collected the seed and sold it to Manako Station (a large cattle and sheep farm) where it was planted, harvested, cut, and mixed with oats—until its luxurious growth started threatening more favoured plants.
In the 1930s a shortage of tung oil in China was seen as a great opportunity for New Zealand to grow tung trees and Kerikeri was selected as a nursery area. It was promoted as an easy profit crop, with ‘no pests, no pruning, no spraying’ required and the nut being simply picked up off the ground after it falls. Unfortunately, of the 4,548 acres of tung trees north of Auckland in 1938, 733 consisted of ‘unsatisfactory trees’ and 3,760 of ‘worthless, dead and dying trees’.
The triangle of land formed by Hobson Ave and Kerikeri and Cobham Roads, once used as an occasional pasture for the policeman’s horse, was sold to the County for a car park—a much criticised transaction because of the belief that Kerikeri would never need such an amenity.
The local library service was started in 1938 and was variously housed in the general store, Yendell’s Bakery (there were complaints about crumbs on the books), Hewson’s shoe shop, Larkin’s milk bar, and the Plunket Society rooms, before being given its own building (originally the old Pungaere school house) on the Domain in the early sixties.
In 2006 a number of taonga were uncovered during riverbank stabilisation works undertaken as part of the construction of the Kerikeri Heritage Bypass
There have certainly been some interesting happenings in and around Kerikeri! We hope these examples get the creative juices flowing. We are looking for poetry, fiction and non-fiction. Submissions are open to anyone who has a connection—no matter how slight—to the Kerikeri area. For full details visit our submissions page.