Pavlova: prose, poetry and images
The submission period for written pieces is now closed. The closing date for submission of images has been extended until 31 May 2021.
Pavlova Press is calling for pavlova poems, images, cartoons and stories (fiction and nonfiction) that could become part of a pavlova-themed book. We are looking for work that surprises and delights us. As long as pavlova features somewhere or somehow, we are interested. Perhaps pavlova is a metaphor, or part of the inciting incident or the resolution. Perhaps it is deconstructed, reconstructed or overconstructed. Perhaps it features in a lyric essay or a pencil sketch, a painting or a micro. Perhaps it is the hero or the villain or the wallflower. Whether funny, sad, dramatic, evocative, mysterious, romantic, catastrophic, thrilling or life-changing put pavlova at the centre of the table.
Artists and designers may enter up to five images (including cartoons) provided that each work complies with the image guidelines below:
- Work of poetry: no minimum lines, maximum length 50 lines
- Work of prose: no minimum words, preferred length under 1000 words, with maximum length 2000 words
- Images: can be paintings, graphic designs, photographs, cartoons, etc. submitted as jpeg files
How to submit
- Written work should be typed in a plain legible font, 1.5 or double-spaced with 2.54cm margins.
- Images should be submitted in the first instance as a jpeg file of a resolution that enables submission by email. If selected for publication, the designer will be required to submit the original.
Email your work(s) as an attachment (doc, docx or rtf for written work or jpeg for images) to submissions[at]pavlovapress.co.nz (replace [at] with @). NO pdfs please. Posted submissions will not be accepted.
The email subject line should read: Submission for Pavlova Collection
Copy and paste the following into the body of the email and complete to provide the information that is required to accompany your submission.
For each work add –
Genre (Poetry/Fiction/Non-fiction/Image- include type eg photo, painting, etc.):
Ensure you read the full terms and conditions below before submitting your work. On submission of your work you are deemed to have accepted all of the rules, and terms and conditions stated in this call for submissions.
Editors: Kathy Derrick and Jac Jenkins